Caravanning holidays are coming back in a big way, with everyone on the lookout for cheaper holidays. Here at West Way we are encouraging new ‘towers’ to stay safe when they take to the roads with handy information, tips and even a free towing course!
Worryingly, four out of ten ‘towers’ admit they have had no formal training or advice on towing safely which could pose road safety risks. Supporting experts at the Institute of Advance Motorists who are backing the Nissan Safe Towing campaign, West Way are inviting motorists to visit our dealerships and learn more about the practicalities of towing a vehicle.
Available to all novice and established towers is a complimentary guide to towing, available at all our dealerships which include information and handy tips on vehicle hitching, torque and manoeuvring. Customers who purchase a Nissan X-Trail and Pathfinder before 30th September are also entitled to a free towing course. What’s more, Nissan is offering members of The Caravan Club a 16% discount on its Nissan X-Trail and Pathfinder.
Vehicles like X-Trail deliver powerful torque which benefits drivers with maximum pulling power at lower engine speeds and requires fewer gear shifts. This is vital assistance to new ‘towers’ offering greater manoeuvrability and overall control.
Nissan and the Institute of Advanced Motorists have issued 5 key towing tips:
- Check you are legally allowed to tow. Requirements differ according to when your driving licence was issued
- Know your towing limit as well as the maximum braked and unbraked towing weights. This can be found in your vehicle handbook
- Know your limits. Speed is limited to 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 50 mph on single carriageways (unless otherwise stated)
- Allow more time and space for accelerating and braking, given the extra weight
- When approaching an incline select a lower gear in good time. Going uphill this provides extra power. Going down this reduces the strain on your vehicle’s brakes
We currently have some amazing deals on the Nissan X-Trail and Pathfinder. For more details, click here. For more information on safe towing or arrange a test drive please contact your nearest dealership.